logo_lmw

Documenting and preserving the stories and the images of the people and places of Melbourne's West since 1984

 

 

Visitor Centre
Pipemakers Park, Van Ness Avenue,
Maribyrnong. Melway Map 28 B10

contact + opening hours

 

 

Charles Grimes - survey of Port Phillip Bay

board 15

the obelisk


At the time of the Grimes survey in 1803 the structure of Melbourne’s Rivers, The Yarra and the Maribyrnong were different than they are now. The original flow of the Yarra River entered the Maribyrnong River opposite Parker Street, Footscray. Melways Map 42 E6.

This former junction of the two rivers is marked by an obelisk which is almost invisible and very hard to get to. This obelisk is on a small patch of ground just south of Footscray Road on the Melbourne side of the River.

________________

"Thursday, February 3rd. 1803—At six o'clock the captain, Mr. Grimes, self, and five seamen went in the boat up the Great River; at between two and three miles it divided into two; *(27) we took the left hand stream at half-past eight o'clock." ( A Journal of the Exploration of Charles Grime, 1802-1803 - by James Flemming ) flemming's journal

________________


NEXT >

 

 

 

 

 

HOME


share this page on facebook email a link to this pageblankgoogle page

NEXT >

1 introduction

2 the most eligible place for a settlement

3 2003 re-enactment event

4 four councils

5 the surveyor general's tribute

6 re-enactment images
the first leg

7 pipemakers park event

8 the plaque

9 city of moonee valley

10 the turning basin

11 flemming's journal

12 the map

13 news articles

14 george seelaf - boat design

15 the obelisk

16 avondale heights plaque

17 dights falls

 

 

 

maribyrnong

LMW is supported by Parks Victoria and the City of Maribyrnong

Pipemakers Park is managed by the City of Maribyrnong.

 

map_logo