logo_lmw

Documenting and preserving the stories and the images of the people and places of Melbourne's West since 1984

 

 

Visitor Centre
Pipemakers Park, Van Ness Avenue,
Maribyrnong. Melway Map 28 B10

contact + opening hours

 

 

park history - pipemakers park

board 4

Australia's leading meat cannery

The Melbourne Meat Preserving Company, established at Maribyrnong in 1868, employed 300 men at peak times, from a variety of trades. Many workers were migrants from England, Ireland and Germany. Output was enormous, e.g. 3,750,059 tins of preserved meat and soups between 1868 and 1874. At slack times, the men were put off and only the foremen kept on. The meat cannery closed in 1886.



PHb4

 

 

 

 

 

 

HOME


BOARD 1
the making of pipemakers park

BOARD 2
ancient river valley
aboriginal camp site

BOARD 3
locomotives
sheep to tallow

BOARD 4
meat cannery

BOARD 5
export to world
refridgeration pioneer

BOARD 6
quarrying + pipemaking

BOARD 7
pipemakers

BOARD 8
pipes to the world

 

maribyrnong

LMW is supported by Parks Victoria and the City of Maribyrnong

Pipemakers Park is managed by the City of Maribyrnong.

 

map_logo