logo_lmw

Documenting and preserving the stories and the images of the people and places of Melbourne's West since 1984

 

 

Visitor Centre
Pipemakers Park, Van Ness Avenue,
Maribyrnong. Melway Map 28 B10

contact + opening hours

 

 

park history - pipemakers park

board 6

quarrying and pipemaking

Maribyrnong was an important place for quarrying bluestone from the 1840’s. In 1888, Thomas Warr (Warrs Road) bought the land that is now Pipemakers Park and set up the Maribyrnong Quarrying Company. The handy supply of bluestone was perhaps one reason why Walter Hume began making his reinforced concrete pipes on the site of the old meat cannery. Hume’s world famous invention of the centrifugally spun concrete pipe was developed at Maribyrnong, where Hume loved for some years.

These photos show pipe making at Maribyrnong in the 1920’s.


phb6

 

 

 

 

 

 

HOME


BOARD 1
the making of pipemakers park

BOARD 2
ancient river valley
aboriginal camp site

BOARD 3
locomotives
sheep to tallow

BOARD 4
meat cannery

BOARD 5
export to world
refridgeration pioneer

BOARD 6
quarrying + pipemaking

BOARD 7
pipemakers

BOARD 8
pipes to the world

 

maribyrnong

LMW is supported by Parks Victoria and the City of Maribyrnong

Pipemakers Park is managed by the City of Maribyrnong.

 

map_logo