logo_lmw

 

 

Visitor Centre
Pipemakers Park, Van Ness Avenue,
Maribyrnong. Melway Map 28 B10

contact + opening hours

 

 

 


(1) about
- acknowledgements

 

 

This project has been made possible by funding from the Public Records Office Victoria and by continued support from the City of Maribyrnong.

 



Where possible we have provided links to further reading and to documents relating to a particular topic.


Hopefully all images and documents presented in this website have been credited responsibly and effectively. If we have missed something please let us know and we will correct it.

email LMW


Many of the appropriate acknowledgements for the origin or sourcing of an item in the website will be on the page itself.

Much of the material was collected from a number of books and articles. Which are listed below. In some cases certain individuals helped in tracking down certain material.

• ‘Footscray’s First Fifty Years’.

• ‘Footscray’s First Hundred Years’.

• Footscray Advertiser, 1934.

• ‘A Journal of the Exploration of Charles Grimes 1802 – 1803’ by James Fleming, ed. J.J
Shillinglaw, 1878. Note that this document was re-printed by George Seelaf on behalf of the Footscray Historical Society and is now available on this Museum’s website as a download.

• ‘Land of the Kulin’ by Gary Presland

• ‘Scrapes of early Port Phillip history' by T. O'Callaghan, Victorian Historical Magazine Vol 11, No. 4, June 1927, p. 202

• ‘Places of interest in Old Footscray’ , 1974, p.3, J. Lack, J . Armstrong, I. Secomb and B. Hayes

• Quoted R. McCracken, 'Henderson House: Home of the Footscray Community Arts Centre', in space ( Town and Country Planning Association) November 1982, p. 13.

• ‘A History of Footscray’ by Dr. John Lack

• Typescript of talk on St. Monica's, by Father Gerrard Beasley, Footscray, 10 June 1979

• 'Pubs, Punt's and Pastures' by Joan Carstairs and Maureen Lane, St Alban's History Society, 1988.

• 'Still Here' exhibition catalogue, by Larry Walsh and Melbourne's Living Museum of the West, 1996.

• S. Priestley, Making their Mark, (Series: The Victorians), Melbourne, 1984, p. 119.

• P. Somerville, ‘Maribyrnong River Cruise Notes’ for the Keilor Historical Society 1977, by tour boat proprietor, Captain Peter Somerville.



For invaluable input from individuals we would like to thank….

• Research, text, design, Peter Haffenden.

• Research, scanning, design, Tim Wellington.

• Research, editing, design, web formatting Kerrie Poliness.

• Industrial archaeologist at Biosis, Gary Vines.

• Museum Committee Member, Roger Holloway in a previous position with the State Government of Victoria

• Former Director of Melbourne's Living Museum, Olwen Ford.

• Tour boat operator, Captain Peter Somerville.

• Former Secretary of the Meat Workers Union and local activist, George Seelaf.

• Tour leader and local historian, Bill Jennison

• Historian and author, Maureen Lane.

• Part-time coach and former office holder at the Footscray Rowing Club, Bruce Paule.

• Honorary Associate in Marine Invertebrates at Museum Victoria, Sue Boyd.

• Heritage diver and diving historian, Des Williams

• Everyone at the Footscray Historical Society, particularly Steve Wilson.

 

 

 

< museum projects

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

maribyrnong

LMW is supported by the City of Maribyrnong

Pipemakers Park is managed by the City of Maribyrnong.

 

 

map_logo