Board 6: Quarrying and Pipemaking
Maribyrnong was an important place for quarrying bluestone from the 1840’s. In 1888, Thomas Warr (Warrs Road) bought the land that is now Pipemakers Park and set up the Maribyrnong Quarrying Company. The handy supply of bluestone was perhaps one reason why Walter Hume began making his reinforced concrete pipes on the site of the old meat cannery. Hume’s world famous invention of the centrifugally spun concrete pipe was developed at Maribyrnong, where Hume loved for some years.
These photos show pipe making at Maribyrnong in the 1920’s.